So Pete Foley, the head designer of the Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition and Andy Smillie from the Warhammer Community held a live Q&A on Facebook very recently.
Most of the information given was pretty vague and had to do with story/lore. However, I was able to compile a few things mentioned in the Q&A that are important.
- Vouchers will be given to people who purchased the rulebook and codexes within 8 weeks (it was extended from 4 weeks). More details will be posted on their Facebook page later tonight.
- There are TWO point structures. The first is called "Power Level" which is essentially a simplified point structure for narrative play and doesn't utilize points for items such as power swords, melta bombs, ect. The second is for Matched play, which is for normal games like we are currently used to now. Wargear will still be a thing in this structure.
- Vehicles and monsters will gradually weaken as they start to take more damage. Whether or not this is on a wound structure is yet to be seen.
- Bolters can actually damage tanks. Again, how this will work for things like Land Raiders is yet to be determined.
- Force Organization will still be around. If you build your army around a specific faction only, you do get more benefits than in 7th edition such as being able to take more of a specific unit for example.
- Death Stars will be nerfed with the addition of Keywords. For example, Space Marine abilities will instead of affecting the unit they are with will only affect Space Marine units with a keyword. So Astra Militarum units will not benefit from Adeptus Astartes keyword abilities.
- Charging does make you go first. Whether or not there is initiative anymore is yet to be seen.
- Some of the things seen in the Galaxy Map are not by accident. Some things do happen during the course of 8th Edition.
- 8th Edition will release "This Year". No date has been given.
- The weapons in 8th Edition "Feel like they are suppose to against the right target". Vague I know, but its all I had to go off of.
That's all I got out of the Q&A. Just wanted to spread the word and break down some things I heard mentioned during the live broadcast. If I am missing anything, please let me know in the comments below.